mardi, avril 06, 2010

Portrait of a kitchen designer

Meet Sophie, a talented and creative kitchen designer for a German brand of high quality (and high end) kitchens. I interviewed Sophie to find out more about her passion for her job and get some insider information on what's hot in kitchens these days.

AT HOME: How long have you been designing kitchens Sophie?

Sophie: For 22 years. I've stayed with the same company because their standard of service reflects my own. We prides ourselves on high quality (almost luxury) kitchens. From cupboard to counter top the kitchens we design, create and install are a reflection of craftsmanship and customisation.

AT HOME: What training do you have for this job?

Sophie: I started off by completing a degree in interior decoration, however, I have always had a passion for drawing. When I accepted this job I immediately saw the opportunity to marry my training with my passion and even after 22 years, I still love what I do.

AT HOME: I notice that all your plans are hand drawn. Why don't you use one of those sophisticated computer design programs that are available to create your plans?

Sophie: It is our company's policy to always provide a hand drawn plan. It's our mark of quality and customer commitment. To be honest, I prefer hand drawing. There is a certain thought process involved when creating a plan with pencil and paper.

AT HOME: What do you love about your job?

Sophie: The creativity, not only esthetically but also technically. Each project I work on is different. Each customer has a unique set of needs and desires for their new kitchen and I work hard to give them exactly what they want, down to the smallest detail. That's not as easy as it sounds, especially when the space is particularly small or has difficult angles to work around. However, I love the variety and challenge that each new project brings.

AT HOME: Within your years of experience I imagine you have created some pretty amazing kitchens, what are the most memorable projects you have worked on?

Sophie: A few years back we did the kitchen of Karl Lagerfeld. That was a treat and he was very nice to work with.
I am always impressed with the clients that choose industrial cooking appliances for their new kitchen. Most of these customers invest huge sums of money in a kitchen they will never step foot in, much less cook a meal for themselves. I recently worked on a project that included 2 kitchens. One central kitchen outfitted with industrial equipment for the domestic staff and another small kitchen equipped with just the basics for the home owners. It always amazes me when I work on a project where cost is not an issue. I've designed kitchens that cost up to 120,000 euros. For me, and most people putting that kind of money into a new kitchen is not an option.

AT HOME: So Sophie, tell us, what are the up and coming trends in kitchens these days?

Sophie: White kitchens are back in. Lacquered door fronts and thin quartz counter tops (made up of resin and powdered granite) are becoming more popular. The modern looking kitchen is sticking around. Integrated handles and new materials - such as glass are replacing those standard wooden cupboard doors with traditional knobs.

AT HOME: Thank you Sophie for taking the time to answer our questions and happy designing to you.

If you would like more information on creating a new kitchen or simply organizing better within your existing kitchen. Drop us a message at: angela@relookinteriors.com.