mardi, juillet 26, 2011

Itchin for a flea market

I've just spent a couple weeks in the south of France, like I do almost every year. Usually I scream "HALT" at least once to my husband/chauffeur when I see signs for a brocante (a second hand shop). Usually these little shops or renovated barns are a treasure trove of odds and ends, old and gently used. I am not embarrassed to admit much of my homes furniture, lighting and deco comes from such shops. However, this year was different. Not only did I not have the occasion to step foot into a shop, I didn't even see signs for local weekend flea markets which are usually very popular in the summer. So I'm wondering where did all the stuff go?

After a bit of research, I think I found the answer (or at least some of the loot). On-line brocante sites are springing up all over. These blog-type boutique sites are no laughing matter. The photos of each object are gorgeously presented and after scrolling through the long list of items for sale, you want to buy it all and invite the seller to come and set it all up for you, just like it looked in the photo!

These sites are a step up from buying on ebay and the whole bidding process is eliminated. For me, while I love the concept of at-home shopping in your jammies, there are some draw backs. The biggest one is not being able to see/touch the items I'm interested in. The second is not being able to haggle the price with the seller (a part of the fun). Another inconvenience is the shipping. Rather than struggling to find a little spot for it in the trunk amongst the beach gear and bedding, you have to wait for it and hope it won't arrive damaged or broken.

Nonetheless, these sites are enjoyable to look at and whether your looking for something specific or just want some new decorating ideas, they have a lot to offer. Here are a few of my favorites:

Les Enfants du Marais
Broc' Charme
au hasard...Balthazar

If you happen upon a good flea market or brocante this summer, I'd love to hear about it. Write me a comment!

Until next time. Enjoy the summer everyone.