mardi, août 30, 2011

WC relooking

It's been a busy month of August around our homestead. Lots of changes for everyone and practically every room. One of the smaller projects I took on, was the relooking of the WC (or as we affectionately refer to it as, the throne room).

This busy little room quickly moved up my "must be relooked" list due to the large gray PVC evacuation tube that was installed verticall
y along the back corner linking the attic bathroom (yet to be installed) to the rest of the toilets in the house.

When we moved into this house a few years ago I used what I had to make it harmonious, comfortable, and functional. The first thing I did was put up a linen panel over the window for privacy, then hung a small storage unit and toilet paper dispenser on the wall that was white with natural wood accents. This was bought from Ikea years ago. On the opposite wall I hung a natural wood frame with 3 photos. The rest was a mismatched green garbage pail and pink rug that injected a hint of color.


For my relooking, I opted for a simple, clean and monochrome approach. Since the whole room needed to be repainted, I used a basic white and kept the white linen curtain. I sanded and spray painted black the natural wood from the storage unit and paper dispenser and replaced the white toilet seat with a shiny new black one. Added a black and white rug and then turned my attention to the blank white wall.

My idea was to create a photo montage using the family portraits that were recently taken by the very talented and self taught p
hotographer Céline Piat from Make every pic happy (www.makeeverypichappy.com). Céline took so many excellent photos of us that I wanted to display them ALL.

I chose simple black frames to hang 12 individual photos which became the focal point and highlight of my room. To create this harmonious arrangement, I mix and matched sizes and formats and hung the frames using 3M Command hooks (see my last blog entry) so I can cleanly remove, rehang or add to this collage. The effect is spectacular and meaningful for everyone in the family.

The overall time it took to relook this room was a little over a weekend, including repainting the entire surface and the multiple coats to cover the PVC tube. Total cost of the relooking was 60€.

This was just one of the summer projects completed around our house, stay tuned for more articles on my relooking and organizing adventures.